Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Should we start school later?

Now you all know I have not been a teacher for very long, and although I have by and large enjoyed my experiences of being with you all, there are some things that I am not used to, like having to wake up at 6am. I cannot stand my friends who complain about having to wake up 'early' for work when they only have to wake up at 8am.

Two days ago, a journalist of the Straits Times wrote an article to suggest that school starts later so that students can get smarter! Yes, it's actually old news that more sleep makes you more able to absorb information better, hence the 'smartness' increase.

I'll love to have that happen, because the truth is I'm a natural late sleeper and always sleep at midnight, so I'm not actually very energetic that early in the morning. And of course, if we start school at 9am, I can have time for a proper breakfast too (which also contributes to IQ!), and recess break will be just at lunchtime.

Would you like that? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment