Friday, May 22, 2009

Putting things into perspective...

Anyone out there enjoy your chicken rice?

It's quite a nice dish isn't it? Thoroughly Singaporean too, though it supposedly come from the Hainanese or wherever - I'm surprised I haven't seen a poem written on it before. The best chicken rice I know of is one beside Bishan bus interchange, with a long snaking queue always.

So I was at Bishan Junction 8 shopping mall just now, and I bought a piece of pandan-kayak cake from Bengawan Solo - $2 for a small piece! They could have cut 12 pieces of that from one whole cake! And I was thinking to myself...this small piece of cake costs the same as a plate of chicken rice!

So the humble chicken rice becomes a symbol of thrift - People buy it as a cheap but good and very satisfying meal, and now when I buy things I always think about how many chicken rice lunches it cost.

If we adopt this thinking whenever we want to spend on something that might not be useful after all, perhaps it could save us all quite a bit! Ultimately, thinking with such a perspective helps us understand people whom are less fortunate than us and can't spend as carelessly as most of us do, and that's a very humbling thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment